Opera News brings you a selection of the latest big news in Nigeria this morning. Enjoy!
Fed Govt overrules governors on worship centres opening
THE Federal Government has accused governors of wilfully breaching the protocols designed to guide the country out of Coronavirus spread.
Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 control Chairman Boss Mustapha warned on Thursday of the danger in allowing large gatherings.
“Governors are also advised on the decision taken by some of their colleagues to permit large gatherings as such decisions could inadvertently endanger the elderly, the sick and those with underlying factors during such gatherings. The strong advisory from the PTF is that large gatherings beyond 20 persons remain prohibited and should be adhered to”, SGF said.
Pastor rips up letter banning gatherings of more than 10 people
A pastor in Baltimore, Maryland, tore a cease and desist letter in front his congregation on Wednesday after he was ordered by local officials to stop hosting in-person services during coronavirus lockdowns.
Governor Larry Hogan said last week that places of worship could reopen at 50 percent capacity. However, hundreds of members of Calvary Baptist Church attended a service officiated by Pastor Stacey Shiflett’s last Wednesday.
11 Deaths Recorded As COVID-19 Death Toll Hits 211
Nigeria on Thursday recorded 11 Coronavirus Disease-related deaths and 339 new infections.
This was disclosed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on its Twitter handle on Thursday.
So far, 211 persons in Nigeria have died of the virus.
10 members of a family test positive for Coronavirus in Kaduna
10 members of a family have tested positive for the novel Coronavirus in Kaduna state.
The governor of the state, Nasir El-Rufai, who disclosed this to newsmen, said a total of 18 cases were recorded in the state today, May 21.
”Covid-19 UPDATE: 18 new cases were recorded today, 10 of whom are family members of one case. 14 of the new cases are from Kaduna North, two from Zaria and one each from Chikun and Sabon-Gari LGAs.” he tweeted
METRO & CRIME
Lagos DPO arrested for shooting sergeant dead
The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of the Divisional Police Officer, Ilemba Hausa Division, Yahaya Adesina, for allegedly shooting one of the police personnel attached to the station, Sergeant Onajide Onalaja, while dispersing a crowd in the Ilemba Hausa area of the state.
The Police PRO, Elkana said Adesina had been arrested and was being detained at the SCIID following reports that he shot the sergeant while dispersing the crowd that gathered in front of the station.
Customs intercepts N1.2b cannabis on Lagos waters
Operatives of the Western Marine Command of Nigeria Customs Service have intercepted drugs suspected to be cannabis sativa valued at over N1.2 billion during a maiden seagoing patrol on Lagos waters.
Controller of the command, Olugboyega Peters who described the seizure as the “single largest” of such drug on water in the history of the Nigeria Customs, said his men relied on intelligence and carried out round the clock surveillance for a period of three days before swooping on the target area , where the seizure was made.
Police charge 17 hoodlums to court
Residents of the Layeni community in Ajegunle, Lagos State, can now sleep with both eyes closed as the police on Wednesday arraigned 17 hoodlums, whom they said had been terrorizing the area, before an Igbosere chief magistrate court.
The accused persons were arrested on May 3, 2020, at Layeni, allegedly for conspiring to commit felony by going about in public, armed and threatening violence.
APC places N22.5m fee on guber aspirants in Edo, Ondo
The All Progressives Congress (APC) says all governorship aspirants in Edo and Ondo State will pay N22.5 million as part of the requirements for contesting in the states’ governorship elections on Sept. 19 and Oct. 10.
The party’s organising scribe said that the forms for each aspirant in both states had been fixed at N22.5 million.
According to him, this includes N2.5 million for expression of interest form and N20 million for the nomination form.
Court declines Melaye’s request to restrain Reps from acting on NCDC Bill
A Federal High Court in Abuja has declined a request by Senator Dino Melaye for a restraining order against the House of Representatives in relation to its planned consideration of the controversial Control of Infectious Diseases Bill 2020, otherwise known as the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) Bill.
In a ruling on Wednesday, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu said she could not issue such an order as sought by Melaye’s lawyer, Nkem Okoro because the plaintiff was yet to effect service on the Speaker of the House of Representatives (who the third respondent) as earlier directed by the court.
Stop acting like Obaseki’s mouthpiece, Oshiomhole’s loyalists tell Oyegun
Loyalists of the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Adams Oshiomhole, in the Edo State chapter of the party, have urged Chief John Odigie-Oyegun to stop acting like the mouthpiece of the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki.
The advice was contained in a statement signed by the spokesperson for the group, Chris Azebamwan, on Thursday.
African goalkeepers hardly succeed in Europe, by Uzoho
Super Eagles goalkeeper, Francis Uzoho, has explained why African goalkeepers are hardly successful in Europe.
Most clubs in Europe, he added, don’t reckon with African goalkeeprs because not many have proven themselves at that stage.
According to him:“It is very difficult for African goalkeepers to succeed in Europe. Outfield players have the advantage but for a goalkeeper, this is a position for just one player throughout 90 minutes.
Rohr accepts new two-year deal to coach Eagles
Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, on Wednesday agreed to terms of a new two-year contract sent to him by the Nigeria Football Federation, our correspondent has learnt.
A member of Rohr’s backroom staff, who spoke with our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that the Eagles coach had already agreed to the terms of the new deal.
I don’t want to play for Eagles – Billing
Bournemouth midfielder, Philip Billing, says he has told Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, about his decision not to play for Nigeria.
The 23-year-old, who has a Nigerian father and a Danish mother, is eligible to play for Nigeria and Denmark. He has played for Denmark’s U-19 and U-21 teams.